Tomorrow you will be taking the final test on The Inn Between by Marina Cohen. The very last question on it will be:
In what ways does The Inn Between by Marina Cohen follow the classic template of a hero’s journey? In a 5-paragraph essay discuss the ways in which Quinn’s tale is like that of a traditional hero. Be sure to cite evidence from your research into the hero’s journey as well as evidence from our reading of the novel.
Today you will use your time to research what a hero’s journey actually is. You can simply use Google (or your preferred search engine) to look up what a hero’s journey is or you can use the links that appear below.
Some sample links:
Use the paper that your teacher will provide to take notes on the information you find and try to think about how Quinn’s story fits into the classic format. Any notes you take today can be used tomorrow on the test.
Please complete any unfinished work from Friday.
- Use online resources to find definitions for the following terms (p. 929)
- Read “Like Black Smoke” on pp. 930-934.
- After reading, respond to Questions #1-7 from p. 935.
- Read “A World Turned Upside Down” on pp. 936-938.
- After reading, respond to Questions #1-7 from p. 939.
- Homework: Complete the “How do we fight DISEASE?” activity on p. 939.
A Christmas Carol Research Project
Over the course of the next two weeks, Mr. Burkholtz’s classes will be participating in a research project centered on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
The project will include the following components:
- Do-Nows (5 x 20 = 100 pts.)
- Homework (5 x 50 = 250 pts.)
- Online Research +
- Notetaking/Citing Sources (200 pts.)
- The behavior/participation in the reading of a dramatic version of A Christmas Carol (400 pts.)
- Viewing of a film version of A Christmas Carol.
- Drafting a handwritten essay. (100 pts.)
- Revising/Editing of essay. (200 pts.)
- Typing a finished version of the essay. (500 pts.)
The essay prompt is as follows:
Is the England portrayed in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens truly representative of what life was like in Victorian England? Write an essay in which you compare and contrast the England of A Christmas Carol to that of the actual England of that era.
Your essay must be a minimum of 5 paragraphs in length and cite evidence from at least 8 sources.
- 4 sources can come from Mr. Burkholtz’s list
- 2 sources MUST be the play and from the film.
- 2 sources MUST be discovered on your own.