ACRONYM – n. a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words.
There are many different kinds of acronyms! Just look at the examples below:
- Pronounced as a word, containing only initial letters such as scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus).
- Pronounced as a word or names of letters, depending on speaker or context such as FAQ (frequently asked questions).
- Pronounced as a combination of names of letters and a word such as CD-ROM (Compact Disc read-only memory).
- Pronounced only as the names of letters such as USA (United States of America).
- Pronounced as the names of letters but with a shortcuts such asAAA (American Automobile Association).
- Shortcut incorporated into name such as 3M (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company).